2014, May 20 Board of Directors Meeting
Board of Directors
Board meeting May 20, 2014
Matsukawa Place, 8:30 a.m.
- 1 Attendance
- 2 SY 13-14:125 Call to order (Act of Endowment, Chapter 3, Articles 18.3, 18.8)
- 3 SY 13-14:126 Approval of Agenda (B 184.108.40.206)
- 4 SY 13-14:127 Elect Board Supervisor-Auditors (Act of Endowment, Chapter 3, #7)
- 5 SY 13-14:128 Approval of Board Member Representing Alumni (Act of Endowment Chapter 4, #25, (3)
- 6 SY 13-14:129 Approval of Board of Directors Member Designated as Educator (Act of Endowment, Chapter 3, #6 (3)
- 7 SY 13-14:130 Approval of Board of Councilors Member Designated as Educator (Act of Endowment, Chapter 4, #25 (4)
- 8 SY 13-14:131 Motion to Recess
- 9 SY 13-14:132 Meeting Reconvened
- 10 SY 13-14:133 Time of Prayer for the School (B4.6.7)
- 11 SY 13-14:134 Board Training (B4.6.5)
- 12 SY 13-14:135 Mission Statement Discussion Continued
- 13 SY 13:14-136 Article II - CAJ Constitution Approval
- 14 SY 13-14:137 Finance and Audit Committee
- 15 SY 13-14:138 Governance and Policy Review
- 16 SY 13-14:139 Wording Change on B2.2.10
- 17 SY 13-14:140 Retreat Site
- 18 SY 13-14:141 Old Board Minutes
- 19 SY 13-14:142 Updated Proxy Form
- 20 SY13-14:143 Headmaster Changed to Head of School
- 21 SY 13-14:144 Executive Session
- 22 SY 13-14:145 Head of School Monitoring Report (B 4.5.3)
- 23 SY 13-14:146 Head of School Decision Preparation Report
- 24 SY 13-14:147 Proposed Board Annual Agenda for 2014-15 (B4.3)
- 25 SY 13-14:148 Consent Agenda (B 4.3.3)
- 26 SY 13-14:149 Elections for Board of Directors Officers
- 27 SY 13-14:150 Board Housekeeping
- 28 SY 13-14:151 Farewell to Retiring Board Members and Auditors
- 29 SY 13-14:152 Monthly Review of Board Process (B 4.1.7)
- 30 SY 13-14:153 Closing Prayer
- 31 SY 13-14:154 Adjournment
- 32 Signatures
- Gaius Berg (for WorldVenture)
- Pauline Carlson (ECC)
- Gerald May (TEAM)
- Steven Tarter (SEND International)
- Brian Vander Haak (Head of School)
- Suzanne Warren (OMS)
- Taizo Morimoto (Supervisor-Auditors)
- John Sakurai (Supervisor-Auditors)
- Grace Fukuzawa (Chong Eun Lee) (Member at Large and Educator) proxy to Brian Vander Haak
- Misook Gho (CRJM) proxy to Pauline Carlson
- Kenichi Shinagawa (Member at Large) proxy to Pauline Carlson
- Karen Stoesz (observer)
SY 13-14:125 Call to order (Act of Endowment, Chapter 3, Articles 18.3, 18.8)
The meeting was called to order at 8:31.
SY 13-14:126 Approval of Agenda (B 220.127.116.11)
MSC to approve the agenda.
SY 13-14:127 Elect Board Supervisor-Auditors (Act of Endowment, Chapter 3, #7)
MSC to elect Taizo Morimoto and Sobi Abraham as the board Supervisor-Auditors.
SY 13-14:128 Approval of Board Member Representing Alumni (Act of Endowment Chapter 4, #25, (3)
MSC to approve Gaius Berg as the Board of Councilors member representing alumni.
SY 13-14:129 Approval of Board of Directors Member Designated as Educator (Act of Endowment, Chapter 3, #6 (3)
MSC to approve Grace Fukuzawa as the Board of Directors member designated as an educator.
SY 13-14:130 Approval of Board of Councilors Member Designated as Educator (Act of Endowment, Chapter 4, #25 (4)
MSC Paul Tsuchido Shew as the Board of Councilors member designated as an educator.
SY 13-14:131 Motion to Recess
MSC that the Board of Directors meeting be recessed at 8:39 a.m.
SY 13-14:132 Meeting Reconvened
Following a Board of Councilors meeting the Board of Directors meetings was reconvened at 11:30.
SY 13-14:133 Time of Prayer for the School (B4.6.7)
SY 13-14:134 Board Training (B4.6.5)
Board training based on concepts of Good to Great continued, with an emphasis on "First Who... Then What".
SY 13-14:135 Mission Statement Discussion Continued
Brian presented a rationale for changes to the CAJ mission statement based on previous discussion and current best practice for mission statements. The board agreed on a statement that will be presented to staff, parents and missions as a draft.
SY 13:14-136 Article II - CAJ Constitution Approval
Based on discussion by the Board of Councilors and the Board of Directors, two changes were suggested. Gerald May will send these two suggestions to the Board of Councilors for review.
SY 13-14:137 Finance and Audit Committee
MSC to accept the audit.
SY 13-14:138 Governance and Policy Review
Johanna Leenders (Mieke Sasaki) was nominated by the Christian Reformed Japan Mission (CRJM) to fill that mission’s seat on the Board of Directors. This would require an exception to policy because she will continue to have a part-time contract even after retiring from CAJ.
MSC to allow exception to B18.104.22.168 to in order for Johanna Leenders to be on the Board of Directors.
SY 13-14:139 Wording Change on B2.2.10
Current reading: When hiring principals, the business manager, or the director of School Support Services, bring the respective candidate’s file to the board meeting for review, discussion and approval. (SY 07-08:72; SY 09-10:140; SY 11-12:183)
MSC B2.2.10 change wording from “candidate file” to “candidate’s application” such that B2.2.10 will read “When hiring principals, the business manager, or the director of School Support Services, bring the respective candidate’s application to the board meeting for review, discussion and approval.”
MSC this be accepted as the second reading since it is only a wording change.
SY 13-14:140 Retreat Site
It was reported that Seimei-no-Mori Resort in Chiba has been selected for the fall joint board retreat with board members from Morrison Academy in Taiwan.
SY 13-14:141 Old Board Minutes
MSC to put all the old board minutes on BRENDA (the board's online portal).
SY 13-14:142 Updated Proxy Form
A corrected proxy form for board members’ use has been made, which indicates Gakkou Houjin CAJ rather than Zaidan Houjin CAJ.
SY13-14:143 Headmaster Changed to Head of School
The terminology Headmaster has been changed to Head of School throughout the board manual.
SY 13-14:144 Executive Session
The board went into an executive session.
SY 13-14:145 Head of School Monitoring Report (B 4.5.3)
Brian said that using 20% non-Christian family cap per grade based on whether or not a family gets a pastor’s recommendation and signing that they agree with our published faith statements may not be working the way it is intended. The board has directed Brian to conduct further discussion and research on this matter and report back to the board (see SY 13-14:118).
Brian gave his report on graduates (B2.4.4). There are 47 enrolled in grade 12, but not all will receive or seek a CAJ diploma.
SY 13-14:146 Head of School Decision Preparation Report
Brian reported he appointed the following Acting Heads of School during his absence in the summer: Jacquie Willson from June 28 - August 3, 2014 and Anda Foxwell from August 3-12, 2014.
MSC to approve Brian’s appointments.
Brian is requesting the board establish an ad hoc committee to consider a non-discrimination statement covering staff and students since it is such a big and complicated issue.
Brian directed board members to a web link that has introductions of new staff members.
Brian demonstrated a new database interface for more effectively monitoring teacher certifications and tracking professional development. All educational staff are required to be certified as required by board policy, and they also must maintain an ongoing professional development plan.
2015 marks the 65th anniversary of CAJ, and Brian reported on some of the events planned, but stated there will be no one big event.
SY 13-14:147 Proposed Board Annual Agenda for 2014-15 (B4.3)
MSC to approve above the annual agenda as presented.
SY 13-14:148 Consent Agenda (B 4.3.3)
- Board chair report on partial and non-compliance limitations
- Board chair report on B3 and B4
- Finance committee minutes May 13, 2014
- Governance and Policy Review committee minutes May 9, 2014
- Headmaster Evaluation committee
- Head of School Search Committee April 1, 2014 | May 9, 2014
- March 18, 2014 executive action minutes
- March 18, 2014 board meeting minutes
- Head of School Pro-D report
- Board expenditures report
- February 2014 Financial Statement
- Profit and Loss | Balance Sheet
MSC to approve items on consent agenda.
SY 13-14:149 Elections for Board of Directors Officers
Suzanne Warren nominated Pauline Carlson as chair. Pauline Carlson was elected as chair.
Pauline Carlson nominated Kenichi Shinagawa as vice-chair. Kenichi Shinagawa was elected as vice-chair.
Brian Vander Haak nominated Gaius Berg as vice-chair for finance. Gaius Berg was elected as vice-chair for finance.
Pauline Carlson nominated Gerald May as secretary. Gerald May was elected as secretary.
SY 13-14:150 Board Housekeeping
Board members were reminded that they are invited to senior comprehensive presentations on June 3, to graduation on June 6, and to the board-staff dinner on June 12.
Pauline asked board members to consider which committee they would like to serve on during SY 14-15.
SY 13-14:151 Farewell to Retiring Board Members and Auditors
Thanks was expressed to Steve Tarter, Misook Gho (board members) and John Sakurai (Supervisor-Auditor) who are leaving the board.
SY 13-14:152 Monthly Review of Board Process (B 4.1.7)
The board reviewed its proceedings for the day.
SY 13-14:153 Closing Prayer
SY 13-14:154 Adjournment
The meeting was adjourned at 3:51 p.m.
Board Vice Chair for Finance
Brian Vander Haak