Board Members' Individual Responsibilities B 4.6
DIVISION B POLICIES
Section 4 Governance Process
4.6 Board Members’ Individual Responsibilities
The board commits itself to the individual and collective participation of its members to insure leadership success.
Therefore, each board member is expected to participate in the following ways:
- As board contemplation, deliberation, and decision-making are processes that require wholeness, collaboration, and participation, attendance at board meetings is required of board members. If a member will be absent from more than two consecutive meetings, the board has the option of nominating a replacement board member. If the board member being replaced was nominated by a founding mission that mission will be consulted. (SY 08-09:108; SY 10-11:78)
- 184.108.40.206 While physical presence at meetings is preferred, the board affirms that online attendance is legitimate attendance at board of directors and board of councilors meetings, as well as at committee meetings. When a call for a meeting is sent out, along with specifying the venue and agenda, it should be stated explicitly that attendance via video conferencing software or video conferencing app is also acceptable. Those who expect to attend a meeting via the internet in advance of the meeting should inform the board secretary in the case of board meetings, and the committee chair in the case of committee meetings. (SY20-21:95)
4.6.2 Representation in Case of Absence
- When a founding mission board member expects to be absent, the mission may appoint an observer to attend meetings in place of the absent board member. The observer will have the privilege of expression, but not the right to vote. The board member who is absent will not be deemed present through the delegating allowed here. (SY 10-11:19; SY 12-13:229, SY19-20:67)
- 220.127.116.11 Absent board members may discharge their responsibilities and will be considered present by submitting a written opinion and/or vote on any specific item or items of business. This method of attendance will be recorded in the minutes. (SY19-20:67)
4.6.3 Preparation, Participation, and Punctuality
- Board members will prepare for board and committee meetings and will participate productively in discussions, always within the boundaries of discipline established by the board. Each member will contribute his or her own knowledge, skills and expertise to the board’s efforts to fulfill its responsibilities.
4.6.4 Members as Individuals
- The head of school is accountable only to the board as an organization, and not to individual board members. Accordingly, the relationship between the head of school and individual members of the board, including the board chair, is collegial, not hierarchical.
4.6.5 Continuing Education
- Each board member is committed to further her or his understanding of governance. (SY 15-16:25)
- The board will endeavor to strengthen fellowship and understanding between board, staff, and community. (SY07-08:152)
- Members will commit to pray regularly for the school.
(Revised – SY07-08:152)
(Page archived 12/14)
(Page revised 1/16)