Board Committee Structure B 4.8
DIVISION B POLICIES
Section 4 Governance Process
4.8 Board Committee Structure
A committee is a board committee only if its existence and charge come from the board, regardless of whether board members sit on the committee.
4.8.1 Governance and Policy Review Committee (SY 12-13:128)
- 220.127.116.11 Product: Orientation of missions to elicit appropriate nominations at appropriate time, orientation of new members, continuing education of current members, conducting exit interviews with board members leaving the board, and evaluation of the board process for adherence to policy governance. (SY 10-11:19) Update board policy manual, clarify and amend policy to reflect board decisions, and ensure consistency and completeness of policies. (SY 12-13:129)
- 18.104.22.168 Authority: Incur costs of no more than set aside in accordance with the policy on cost of governance. (cf. Division B, Section 4.10) Suggest modifications to, additions to, and locations of, board policies within the board manual. (SY 07-08:39; SY 12-13:130)
4.8.2 Finance and Audit Committee (SY 12-13:131)
- 22.214.171.124 Product: Preliminary review of annual operating and capital budgets, terms of current investments, monthly financial statements, long-term financial trends, and financial implications of program changes. Provide financial orientation and continuing education of board members as directed by the board. Set specifications and scope of outside audit and select and approve audit firm by no later than the January board meeting each year. (SY 12-13:132, SY 14-15:68)
- 126.96.36.199 Authority: To report unusual issues to the full board, along with options for action steps. (SY 07-08:10) Review the audit report and management letter when received and incur no more than ¥3,000,000 per year. (SY 12-13:133)
4.8.3 Executive Committee
- 188.8.131.52 The executive committee shall consist of the board chairman, the vice chairman, the vice chairman of finances, and the secretary.
- 184.108.40.206 The committee shall have the authority to function when needed between board sessions:
- 220.127.116.11.1 To act in emergency matters entrusted to it by the board chair. When an emergency matter relates to a board committee’s area of responsibility, the chair will attempt to consult with the relevant committee chair before the executive committee makes a decision. The executive committee shall not make decisions which call for full board approval.
- 18.104.22.168.2 To fulfill any duty specifically assigned it by the board.
- 22.214.171.124.3 Committee meetings may be called by the board chair. The chair and at least two other executive committee members shall constitute a quorum. When not enough executive committee members are available to constitute a quorum, other board members may serve in their place.
- 126.96.36.199.4 All actions of the committee must be reported by the next board meeting. (SY 10-11:19)
4.8.4 Head of School Evaluation Committee
- 188.8.131.52 Product: Evaluate the head of school based on job description (cf 3.3.3)
- 184.108.40.206 Authority: Review evaluation data, report to the full board and review the evaluation process. (SY 07-08:69)
4.8.5 The head of school is an ex-officio member of all board committees, except the Head of School Evaluation Committee and the Head of School Search Committee. (SY 07-08:12)
(Revised SY 07-08:10; SY 07-08:12; SY 07-08:39; SY 07-08:69; SY 10-11:104)
(Page revised 01/15)