Behavioral Expectations, Staff
At CAJ, all staff are expected to live a Christ-like lifestyle as defined by our policies and community standards. These expectations do not end at the edge of campus, nor are they limited to when school is in session. The well being of all our stakeholders, especially the students entrusted to us, is every staff person's responsibility. Potential or current staff who consider this intrusive are unlikely to thrive here. If you have questions about a particular lifestyle or behavior, we welcome you to talk with us about the implications. We start with the foundation provided by our board policies in B2.2 which include the general qualifications summarized here as well as specific lifestyle expectations:
The head of school shall not fail to employ staff who:
- 188.8.131.52 Share the same beliefs as CAJ that the following areas of sexual activity are inappropriate and prohibited by Scripture:
- 184.108.40.206.1 Heterosexual activity outside of marriage (premarital sex, cohabitation, extramarital sex) (Heb. 13:4, Eph. 5:3, I Thess. 4:3-8)
- 220.127.116.11.2 Homosexual activity (Rom. 1:24-27)
- 18.104.22.168.3 Sexual harassment (I Thess. 4:3-7, Eph. 5:3-5)
- 22.214.171.124.4 Possession or habitual, deliberate viewing of pornographic material and websites (I John 2:16, Matt. 5:28)
- 126.96.36.199.5 Sexual abuse or improprieties toward minors (Luke 17:1-2)
In addition, the following community standards should be noted:
- Staff should guard against the appearance of impropriety as well as avoiding the sexual activity specifically prohibited by board policy. CAJ avoids having unaccompanied (without other adults or students) pairings of male and female staff members traveling on school business. An example of the appearance of impropriety would be having a girl or boyfriend sleep over or sharing a room while traveling.
- Drinking alcohol is not prohibited, either publicly or privately, but drunkenness or drunken behavior would not be acceptable. Discretion should be used when drinking alcohol in a public setting. At no time should alcohol be consumed on campus or during a school activity, including off campus student trips. A staff person should never be under the influence of alcohol when they are working or directly responsible for students. Alcohol is not eligible for reimbursement as part of traveling or meal expenses.
- Smoking is not prohibited, but at no time should there be smoking on campus or during a school activity, including off campus student trips.
- Illegal drug use, or abuse of over the counter or prescription drugs, is prohibited in all settings.
- Illegal gambling is prohibited. Legal gambling should be only done with great discretion and in moderation.
- Any behavior that becomes compulsive, for example gaming or online use, should be a matter of concern when it threatens the well being of the participant or interferes with his or her ability to model a Christ-honoring lifestyle.
- In addition to the prohibition of pornography, online behaviors and digital communication should always represent a Christ-like attitude and lifestyle. Staff should never assume something posted online is private or exempt from CAJ behavior expectations. See our staff Communication Policy for more guidelines.
- Profane and vulgar language are both unprofessional and un-Christlike. The same goes for gossip, words used in anger, or mocking and demeaning others. Sarcasm used for comic effect is often misunderstood in our setting.