2015, February 10 Board of Directors Training
Board of Directors Training Notes
February 10, 2015
- Gaius Berg (for WorldVenture)
- Pauline Carlson (ECC)
- Grace Fukuzawa (Chong Eun Lee) (Member at Large and Educator)
- Johanna Leenders (Mieke Sasaki) (CRJM)
- Gerald May (TEAM)
- Daniel Sexton (OMS)
- Kenichi Shinagawa (Member at Large)
- Karen Stoesz (SEND)
- Brian Vander Haak (Head of School)
- Sobi Abraham (Supervisor-Auditor)
- Taizo Morimoto (Supervisor-Auditor)
Others in Attendance
- Rick Seely (Business Manager)
- Tom Norton (Head of School elect)
Call To Order
The meeting was called to order at 8:45 a.m.
Daniel Sexton led in devotions, sharing the background of singer Lynn DeShazo for whom the Scriptures became the primary inspiration for her music. He led us in singing the modern hymn “Ancient Words” written by Ms. DeShazo.
Prayer Time For The School
The board held a time of prayer for the needs of the school.
Reading Financial Statements
Rick Seely gave a presentation explaining how to read school financial statements.
Hiring Policy Discussion
Brian Vander Haak and Tom Norton gave presentations and led a discussion regarding our hiring policy and application. Brian led a brainstorming session asking what the board sees as necessary qualities for teachers and staff under the headings “CAJ is seeking teachers/staff who are/do” and “CAJ wants to avoid teachers/staff who aren’t/don’t.” Reviewed Exec. Limitations 2.2 Staff and discussed each policy’s appropriateness. Using the input from the discussion, the Governance and Policy Review Committee will review the policies during the next committee meeting. Tom lead a discussion of various scenarios related to the school hiring policy.
School Philosophy Review
DIVISION A DOCUMENTS Section 4 Position Statements 4.1 School Philosophy was reviewed as part of a planned review cycle. We noted recommendations to reword sections including:
- Foundation of Education section has dated, unaccessible language. Suggest rewording.
- Reconsider wording under Point 2, Students / Part d “to value one’s cross cultural identity”
- possibly change to “cultural identity” or “one's own and others' cultural identities”
- These will be referred to the Governance and Policy Review Committee for further review
WASC Mid-term Report Review
Brian presented the school’s mid-term report that has been sent to the WASC mid-cycle visiting team. The campus visit by the team will be held March 1-3, 2015.
Kenichi Shinagawa closed the meeting in prayer.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:55 pm.