2014, March 18 Board of Directors Meeting
Christian Academy Board of Directors
March 18, 2014
Matsukawa Place, Harvest Hall, 11:30 a.m.
- 1 Attendance
- 2 SY 13-14:109 Call to Order
- 3 SY 13-14:110 Approval of Agenda
- 4 SY 13-14:111 Board Training
- 5 SY 13-14:112 Ad-hoc Committee on Article II
- 6 SY 13-14:113 Finance/Audit
- 7 SY 13-14:114 Governance/Policy Review
- 8 SY 13-14:115 Headmaster Evaluation Committee
- 9 SY 13-14:116 Headmaster Search Committee
- 10 SY 13-14:117 Headmaster Monitoring Report
- 11 SY 13-14:118 Headmaster Decision Preparation Report
- 12 SY 13-14:119 Headmaster Incidental Report
- 13 SY 13-14:120 Consent Agenda
- 14 SY 13-14:121 Board Housekeeping
- 15 SY 13-14:122 Monthly Review of Board Process
- 16 SY 13-14:123 Closing Prayer
- 17 SY 13-14:124 Adjournment
- 18 Signatures
- Gaius Berg (for WorldVenture)
- Pauline Carlson (ECC)
- Grace Fukuzawa (Chong Eun Lee) (Member at Large and Educator)
- Misook Gho (CRJM)
- Gerald May (TEAM)
- Kenichi Shinagawa (Member at Large)
- Steven Tarter (SEND International)
- Brian Vander Haak (Headmaster)
- Suzanne Warren (OMS)
- Taizo Morimoto (Supervisor-Auditors)
- John Sakurai (Supervisor-Auditors)
SY 13-14:109 Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 11:32 a.m.
SY 13-14:110 Approval of Agenda
MSC to approve the agenda.
SY 13-14:111 Board Training
The Good to Great Hedgehog Concept was revisited in preparation for reviewing the mission statement. The board discussed what drives the school’s economic engine, what the school is passionate about, and what the school is best at. Brian shared responses he got from staff members. Discussions will continue in May.
SY 13-14:112 Ad-hoc Committee on Article II
There was discussion on a proposed change in Article II in the Constitution. Discussion will continue in May.
SY 13-14:113 Finance/Audit
MSC to approve the 2014-15 Capital Budget of ￥50,080,000.
MSC to approve the 2014-15 Operating Budget of ￥659,607,000.
MSC to approve tuition increases as recommended by the committee.
SY 13-14:114 Governance/Policy Review
Board self-evaluation (B 4.1.7)
Pauline showed the results of an online poll of board members.
SY 13-14:115 Headmaster Evaluation Committee
Kenichi reviewed the January 14 committee meeting. At the February 7 committee meeting, it was decided to focus on things that relate to the transition to a new headmaster. Leadership Team members (excluding Brian) were invited to the February 24 committee meeting. (Cf. EA SY 13-14:10)
SY 13-14:116 Headmaster Search Committee
The committee has met once to look through the succession plan. The position has been made public on a number of portals. Applications have been received and will be processed by the committee.
SY 13-14:117 Headmaster Monitoring Report
Brian presented his monitoring report.
SY 13-14:118 Headmaster Decision Preparation Report
The board went to Executive Session. (Cf. EA SY 13-14:11 and EA SY 13-14:12)
Non-Christian cap: K and 1: Brian has requested an exception to B 126.96.36.199.3 for K and 1. The board discussed the rationale for this 20% cap, and encouraged Brian to continue to research issues surrounding the cap and engage the board in further discussion.
MSC to waive the 20% limit for K and 1 at the discretion of the administration.
History archive naming and update: Megumi Mission Archives (at CAJ) stories of God's grace in Japan has been suggested as the name.
MSC to approve the name Megumi Mission Archives.
Headmaster or Head-of-School?: Brian says that Head of School is far more common and recognizable than headmaster in some settings, and requested transitioning to the new title. The board directed him to start the transition right away including application materials, the website, and board materials.
MSC to have the Governance/Policy committee make proposed changes in board materials.
SY 13-14:119 Headmaster Incidental Report
Love in Action: the target was to fund “scholarships” for 150 students to attend camp, and CAJ has already raised enough money for 149.5.
Facilities change:The Annex will be remodeled to make a science center out of the living/dining/kitchen area.
Cafeteria option: There have been some applicants, but not with food service experience. Cezars Kitchen is an option. It would be more expensive than our current program, but the food will be more nutritious.
Pro-D plans and certifications: It has taken a number of years but all teaching staff now have certification or are on a plan to get it (or renew it) by June 2015.
The search engine for BRENDA (the board portal) is being fixed.
Brian invited board members to the senior comprehensive presentations June 3 (Tuesday - throughout the day). Brian invited board members to graduation June 6 (Friday). Brian invited board members to the board-staff dinner June 12 (Thursday 6:00 p.m.)
SY 13-14:120 Consent Agenda
MSC to approve the following consent agenda items:
- Second readings: B2.1.2|B188.8.131.52
- Report on mission reps meeting
- Finance committee minutes February 25, 2014
- Governance/policy review committee minutes
- Headmaster search committee minutes
- January 14, 2014 executive action minutes
- February 4, 2014 executive action minutes
- February 4, 2014 board meeting minutes
- Ad-hoc committee on Article II minutes
- February 7, 2014
- February 20, 2014
- March 7, 2014
SY 13-14:121 Board Housekeeping
A joint retreat with the Morrison Academy board is scheduled for September 29 through October 1, 2014. The board will be making cinnamon rolls at the April Thrift Shop.
SY 13-14:122 Monthly Review of Board Process
The board reviewed its process in terms of what it did well and what it could do better.
SY 13-14:123 Closing Prayer
Taizo Morimoto closed in prayer.
SY 13-14:124 Adjournment
MSC to adjourn the meeting at 4:26 p.m.
Board Vice Chair for Finance
Chong Eun Lee (Grace Fukuzawa)
Board Vice Chair
Brian Vander Haak